Roulette Rules: The Essentials
Knowing the roulette rules is essential to landing big wins. Online roulette has become increasingly popular among casino enthusiasts, providing an engaging and fun gaming experience from the comfort of one's home.
This classic casino game is easy to understand and play. Yet, it offers a thrilling experience for both beginners and experienced players.
This article will delve into online roulette's basic rules and strategies, equipping you with the knowledge needed to optimize your gaming experience.
The roulette game revolves around a spinning wheel with numbered pockets and a small ball. The primary objective is to predict the outcome of the spinning wheel by placing bets on specific numbers, colours, or combinations.
Whether you're playing European or American roulette, the core principles remain the same, with only slight variations in the wheel's design and betting options. Our roulette rules review will clearly explain the differences.
As you embark on your journey into online roulette, you must familiarize yourself with the betting options and understand the odds associated with each bet. This will help you make informed decisions when placing bets and maximize your potential winnings.
So, without further ado, let's dive into the exciting world of online roulette and explore the rules and strategies to enhance your gaming experience in an online casino.
Online Roulette Rules Basics
Types of Roulette
There are several variations of this popular table games variant. The most common being European, American, and French. European roulette has a single 0-pocket, while the American roulette wheel adds an extra 00-pocket. Notwithstanding, there are other roulette rules you should familiarize yourself with.
French roulette offers unique roulette rules called “la partage” and “en prison.” The former returns half of the player's stake if the ball lands on zero when betting on even money bets. The latter makes it possible to recover a losing bet if the ball ends in the 0 spot.
When learning how to play casino games, it is essential to understand the game's basic rules, which apply across all variations.
Consequently, this section will primarily focus on European roulette, with the understanding that additional roulette rules may apply depending on the type of online casino.
Roulette offers players numerous betting options, both “inside” and “outside” bets, each with different odds and payouts. Some roulette variants also have several side bets. Let's summarize each type of bet:
- Inside Bets: According to roulette rules, you can place these bets directly on the numbered grid on the roulette table.
- Straight-up bet: Placing a wager on a single number, including 0.
- Split bet: Place a bet on two adjacent numbers by positioning your chip(s) on the shared line between them.
- Street bet: Placing a three-number bet on a row of three numbers by placing your chip(s) on the outer line of that row.
- Corner bet: Place a stake on a group of four numbers by putting your chip(s) at their shared corner.
- Line bet: Place a bet on two adjacent rows (six numbers) by setting your chip(s) on the shared outer line.
- Outside Bets: These bets involve a more extensive range of numbers, and roulette rules require placing them outside the numbered grid. They include:
- Column bet: Placing a bet on 12 numbers of a vertical column; chip(s) placed at the bottom of the desired column.
- Dozen bet: Betting on 12 consecutive numbers; chip(s) placed on one of the three boxes marked “1st 12,” “2nd 12,” or “3rd 12.”
- Colour bet: Betting on either red or black numbers; chip(s) placed on the “red” or “black” box.
- Odd/Even bet: Wagering on either odd or even numbers; chip(s) placed on “odd” or “even” box.
- High/Low bet: Betting on numbers 1-18 (low) or 19-36 (high); chip(s) placed on “1 to 18” or “19 to 36” box.
The Roulette Round
A standard online roulette round can be broken down into these steps:
- Place your bet by selecting a chip size and dragging the chip onto the desired section of the roulette table.
- Spin the wheel by clicking the next spin button; the wheel will rotate, and a digital ball will be spun in the opposite direction.
- Wait for the ball to land in one of the numbered pockets; this determines the winning number.
- Collect your winnings based on the roulette rules if your bet was successful, or lose your stake if not. The game will then reset and continue with the next round.
Roulette Rules and Placing Bets
In online roulette, players place bets by selecting a casino chip value and clicking on the desired area of the roulette board. You can make various bets according to the roulette rules. The wagers are divided into two main categories: inside bets and outside bets.
Each category covers specific numbers and combinations; the payouts and odds differ. This section will explore both types of bets in more detail.
Inside bets refer to those placed directly on single numbers or combinations of specific numbers. The roulette rules recognize the following types of inside bets:
- Straight bet: A bet on a single number (0, 00, or 1-36). Payout is 35 to 1.
- Split bet: A bet on two adjacent numbers. Payout is 17 to 1.
- Street bet: A bet on three consecutive numbers in a horizontal line. Payout is 11 to 1.
- Corner bet: A bet on four numbers that share a common corner. Payout is 8 to 1.
- Five-number bet: A bet on 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3. Payout is 6 to 1. (Exclusive to American roulette)
- Six-number bet: A bet on six consecutive numbers that form two horizontal lines. Payout is 5 to 1.
|Bet Type||Numbers Covered||Payout|
Outside bets cover larger groupings of numbers. Not surprisingly, they have lower payouts due to the increased probability of winning. Types of outside bets include:
- Column bet: A bet on 12 numbers in a vertical column. Payout is 2 to 1.
- Dozen bet: A wager on the first, second, or third set of 12 numbers (1-12, 13-24, or 25-36). Payout is 2 to 1.
- High/Low bet: A bet on either the first 18 numbers (1-18) or the second 18 (19-36). Payout is 1 to 1.
- Even/Odd bet: A wager on either all even or all odd numbers. Payout is 1 to 1.
- Red/Black bet: A bet on all red or all black numbers. Payout is 1 to 1.
|Bet Type||Numbers Covered||Payout|
The Best Canadian Online Casinos for Roulette
It's time to test your knowledge after becoming acquainted with the roulette rules. Canada has many excellent casinos with your favourite roulette variants. Because of that, we want to make it easy for you. You can find the top 5 roulette online casinos for 2023 below.
|Online Casino||Welcome Bonus||Roulette Variants|
|PokerStars Casino||100% deposit bonus of up to C$2000 and 300 free spins||American, High Roller, European|
|Conquestador Casino||200% match bonus and 200 free spins||Speed, Lightning, Immersive|
|LeoVegas Casino||100% bonus of up to C$1000 and 200 free spins||3D, Euroepan, 100 to 1, Roulette Diamond|
|iBet Casino||Deposit Bonus up to C$1500||Turbo, Gold, European Pro|
|Mr Vegas Casino||100% welcome bonus up to C$200 and 11 free spins||Extreme Multifire, Zoom, Double Ball|
Roulette Rules and Payouts
Understanding how Roulette payouts work can help you make better bet decisions.
Payouts are determined based on the probability of a number or outcome occurring. You can find all payout information in the roulette rules of your chosen game.
This section will cover Inside Bets Payouts and Outside Bets Payouts, including examples and discussions on the odds associated with each type of bet.
Inside Bets Payouts
The roulette rules require that you make Inside bets directly on the Roulette wheel's numbered grid. There are several types of inside bets, and their associated payouts are as follows:
- Straight-up bet: When you bet on a single number, the payout is 35:1. If you bet C$1 and your number hits, you'll win C$35 plus your original bet.
- Split bet: A bet placed on two adjacent numbers, vertically or horizontally. The payout for a split bet is 17:1.
- Street bet: A bet on a row of three numbers, known as a ‘street.' The payout for a street bet is 11:1.
- Corner bet: A stake on a group of four numbers that form a square on the grid. The payout for a corner bet is 8:1.
- Line bet: A bet on six numbers that form two adjacent rows. The payout for a line bet is 5:1.
Outside Bets Payouts
Outside bets offer lower risk and lower payouts compared to inside bets. For this reason, the roulette rules require that you place these bets on the table's parts surrounding the numbered grid. The most common types of outside bets are:
- Column bet: A bet placed on the 12 numbers that form a column on the Roulette table. The payout for a column bet is 2:1.
- Dozen bet: A bet placed on a group of 12 numbers: 1-12, 13-24, or 25-36. The payout for a dozen bet is also 2:1.
- Colour bet: A bet placed on all black or red numbers. The payout for a colour bet is 1:1, meaning you double your money if you win.
- Even/Odd bet: A bet on all even or all odd numbers. The payout for an even/odd bet is also 1:1, doubling your money if successful.
- High/Low bet: A bet on the lower half of numbers (1-18) or the upper half (19-36). The payout for a high/low bet is 1:1 as well.
By understanding the payouts for different types of Roulette bets, players can make informed decisions and enjoy the game at a higher level. Knowledge of the odds and potential payouts can be helpful when strategizing and managing your bankroll during gameplay.
Roulette Rules and Strategies
This section will discuss some popular roulette rules strategies that players use while playing online roulette. Although roulette is a game of chance, players employ various strategies to increase their winning odds or manage their bankroll.
While no roulette strategy can guarantee a win, they can add an element of excitement and fun to the game.
The Martingale strategy is a popular betting strategy used in roulette, where players double their bet after every loss. The idea behind this system is that the player will eventually win, recoup previous losses and gain a profit equal to their initial bet.
- Start with a small initial bet.
- If you win, keep your stake the same.
- If you lose, double your bet.
- Repeat the process until you win or reach table limits.
Here's an example of the bet progression if you start with a C$10 bet:
|Bet Amount||Outcome||Cumulative Loss|
This system requires a large bankroll to cover long losing streaks and may not be suitable for everyone. Players are allowed to use this strategy according to roulette rules. Additionally, many roulette tables have betting limits, which can hinder the effectiveness of the Martingale System.
Roulette Rules on the Labouchere System
The Labouchere strategy is another betting strategy involving using a number sequence to determine bet amounts. The player creates a sequence and adds the first and last numbers to decide their first bet.
- Create a sequence of numbers (e.g., 1-2-3-4).
- Add your initial bet's first and last number (1+4 = 5).
- Place the bet on even chances (even/odd, red/black, 1-18/19-36).
- If you win, remove the first and last number in your sequence.
- If you lose, add the bet amount to the end of your arrangement.
- Continue until no numbers are left in the sequence or reach table limits.
Pros and cons of the Labouchere System:
- Requires less capital compared to the Martingale System.
- Players can customize their number sequences.
- Losing streaks can lead to long sequences and larger bets.
- No guarantee for recovering losses.
Remember that these strategies may only work for some individuals or situations. Playing responsibly, reading the roulette rules, and understanding that roulette is a game of luck are essential.
Tips for Playing Online Roulette
Online roulette is a popular game of chance that is easy to pick up and can provide plenty of excitement. But ensure you know the roulette rules. Here are a few tips to help you improve your chances of winning and enjoy the game more effectively.
Understand the Types of Roulette Games
Before diving into online roulette, familiarize yourself with the various roulette games available. The two main types are European and French roulette, which has a single zero, and American roulette, which has a double zero.
The house edge is lower in European and French roulette, so it's advisable to choose these versions when available. For an even better experience, try Live Roulette. Since this version of the game features live croupiers, we recommend you get acquainted with the specific roulette rules.
Manage Your Budget Wisely
Set a budget for your online roulette play and stick to it. Determine your betting limits and never chase losses. Always play responsibly and remember that, in the end, this should be a fun experience.
- European or French Roulette: lower house edge.
- American Roulette: higher house edge.
While no foolproof strategy guarantees a win, some players use betting systems to manage their wagers. Two common techniques include the Martingale System, which entails doubling your bet after a loss, and the Fibonacci System, which follows a specific sequence of bets.
Remember that these systems can help you manage your budget but do not guarantee a win. In summary, using these and similar strategies is allowed according to Rulette rules.
Understand Roulette Rules About Inside and Outside Bets
Roulette allows various betting options, broadly classified as inside and outside bets. Inside bets, such as single numbers and splits, have higher payouts but lower odds of winning.
Outside bets, such as red/black or odd/even, have lower payouts but higher odds of winning. Manage your risk and reward by finding a balance between the two and adapting your wagers accordingly.
Practice Before You Play
Finally, use free online roulette games to familiarize yourself with the roulette rules and betting options. This practice will help you gain confidence and become more comfortable with the game before wagering real money.
What Makes Roulette Special
In summary, online roulette is an exciting and easily accessible game for players of all levels. By understanding the basic roulette rules, such as the types of bets and the difference between American and European roulette, players can improve their chances of winning and enjoy the game more.
- American roulette: 1 to 36 (red or black), 0 and 00 (green).
- European (French) roulette: 1 to 36 (red or black) and 0 (green).
When you play roulette, selecting the appropriate chip size and placing winning bets on the desired number or combination of digits is the first step. After learning the roulette rules, players can spin the wheel. If the ball lands in their chosen numbered slot, they win.
One of the benefits of playing online roulette is the flexibility and lack of time pressure, allowing players to familiarize themselves with the betting options, roulette rules, and strategies at their own pace. Further, many online platforms offer digital tools for calculating odds and planning bets.
Players must approach online roulette with a responsible mindset, setting limits and enjoying the game as a form of entertainment rather than a guaranteed source of income.
By staying informed and adopting sound betting strategies while playing with your roulette chips, players can enhance their online roulette experience and make the most of this classic casino game.
What's the aim of roulette?
The roulette rules state that players bet where they think a ball will land on a spinning wheel. After the ball stops spinning, it will land in one of the designated slots.
How many types of roulette are there?
The roulette rules divide the game into three main variants: European, American, and French.
What roulette bets have the best chance to win?
Outside bets are easier to guess than inside bets. For example, those are Even/Odd, Red/Black, or High/Low.
Can I bet on multiple numbers in Roulette?
Betting on several numbers is allowed according to roulette rules. You can wager on single numbers or multiple number combinations.
How much can I win playing roulette online?
The roulette rules are clear on the potential wins. Predicting the correct numbers pays 35:1, while wagers on colours or Odd/Even pay 1:1.
Lars Wahlström is a renowned expert in the online casino industry, boasting over two decades of multifaceted experience spanning technological development and operational management. As the visionary CEO and Publisher of ARGO Gaming Group, the force behind the successful Casinoclaw brand, Lars combines his lifelong enthusiasm for gaming and gambling with an impressive track record in slots, casino gaming, poker, sports betting, and trotting.
Esteemed for his insightful contributions, Lars is highly regarded as a top-tier authority in casino journalism. He is a staple at international industry conferences, providing valuable insights on panels and networking opportunities.
Based out of the ARGO HQ and Stockholm office, Lars is a globetrotter, ensuring he remains at the forefront of industry trends. Connect with Lars for his expert perspectives through our contact page, or network with him on LinkedIn and X for the latest in iGaming innovation.